HOW TO STUDY
It is important that you develop a health study habit to learn and discover the world of knowledge. It is fun to master the art which requires hard work and effective methods. Methods differ from person to person according to individual differences and character traits. Methods also vary in the case of different subjects. But some points may be kept in mind:
1. Effective Study Calls for: a) Sufficient intellectual capacity (IQ); b) Proper Motivation; c) Good reading techniques; d) Proper knowledge and practice of a good method of study.
2. Proper Motivation : As I mentioned earlier – what is your goal in lif? Your attitude to study will depend on this factor. Why do I study? An aimless person will be a poor student.
3. Class : Be regular with your school/ college attendance. Be a good listener in class. Jot down points while the teacher explains the lessons. Clarify doubts. Often I have come across students who are very distracted in class and wait for their tuition after class. They waist their precious day in school/ college. If you have been attentive in class your personal study will be a time to assimilate better the subject matter.
4. Your Place of Study & Posture :
• Have a specific place of study in a quiet corner of your room.
• Have your table in order.
• Avoid scattering your books all around.
• Make sure there is proper lighting.
• Do not bend over your book while reading. A
• void reading aloud.
• Sit upright and the distance between your book and the eye should be approximately 12 inches.
• Maintain absolute silence while studying.
• Avoid taking a very comfortable position while studying like relaxing and reading in bed. It can induce sleep than help serious study..
• Walking around and reading cannot help you concentrate. Basking in sunshine during winter to study is very tempting. But your input will be very little.
• I suggest that you stick to your place of study.
5. Study Hours: Begin your study with a little prayer, offering your study itself as a prayer to God. Try to read a few verses from the scripture if you like. This will help you set a calm frame of mind.
Begin your study with an easy subject. After 30 minutes of study change over to the next subject. Normally one concentrate for 30 to 40 minutes depending on the mental maturity. After that time period the brain input declines. Hence a change of subject will help. After an hour and a hald of intense study you can have a brief break of 10 minutes. It is good to look out to some greenery around which can be very soothing to the eyes.
Avoid eating while studying. Do not study immediately after meals. Have a break of at least 45 minutes after meals. Some students find chewing gum helpful in keeping awake while studying.
6. Handling Distractions
Noise pollution can be a constant source of distraction. Often, you can’t just avoid it. At least avoid TV or Radio constantly switched on at home. Still, as you sit down to read, your thoughts keep wandering. Within seconds your mind can go globe trotting. Effective note taking can help you to avoid such distractions and sleepiness. Have your pen and notebook wile reading and jot down important points.
7. Some problems faced during study
You tend to study the subjects you like most. Difficult subjects like Mathematics are dreaded and conveniently avoided. The constant fear of the subject will be phantom throughout your student life. Have courage to face it. You may eventually get a liking for it. Fear of failure can also make you frightened of the subject. Keep saying, I will... and you will surely succeed.